Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The Lovetones: “Myriad” (2020) CD Review

The Lovetones have released their first new album in a decade, and it’s a good one. Titled Myriad, it features mostly originally material written by the band’s vocalist and guitarist Matthew J. Tow. These songs feature the elements that people have come to expect from the band – a 1960s psychedelic influence, interesting guitar work and a certain charm to the vocal performances. But these songs also have strong emotional cores, songs you might find yourself connecting to, particularly in these uncertain and rather frightening times. In addition to Tow, the band is made up of Christopher Cobb on drums, Matthew Sigley on bass and keys, Tim Kevin on guitar and keys, and Nic Dalton on mandolin.

There is something beautiful about the album’s opening track, “The Circle Turns.” It eases in, giving us a chance to get situated, and the vocals have a kind and rather sad quality. “You and I are lost for all eternity/A myriad of beauty and despair.” While I was listening to this album for the first time, I received the news that John Prine had died, so perhaps things were hitting me hard, but this song had me in tears. Yet it still hit me hard my second and third times through, so it wasn’t just that moment. “The circle turns again/And again and again.” There is also something soothing about the delivery. “The Circle Turns” was written by Matthew J. Tow, as was “About The Girl,” which follows it. This one too has a strong effect on me, in part because of lines like “But it’s all right, everything’s okay/Going to hide myself away/Make it through another day.” There is certainly a Beatles influence heard in this one, even in the inflection of certain words and phrases, such as “your name” in the lines “And every song’s a sad, sad song/And the moonlight calls your name/How could I let you go?

The album’s only cover is “The Milkman Of Human Kindness,” written by Billy Bragg and appearing on his first release back in 1983. The title of this song always makes me smile, even now, even during this depressing time. It is of course a play on Lady Macbeth’s speech from Macbeth, “Yet do I fear thy nature;/It is too full o' th' milk of human kindness.” The song has a lighter, more playful quality than the first two tracks. The Lovetones’ rendition has a bit more of a pop sound than Billy Bragg’s original version. “Won’t you hold my hand, I’m waking up” is a great line, by the way. It is followed by “Caylus 74,” a short instrumental piece composed by Matthew Sigley. Though it is listed as a separate track on the CD case, it is actually included on the same track as “The Milkman Of Human Kindness.”

“Everything You’ve Ever Had” is a wonderfully sweet and beautiful song. The lines “Won’t you kiss me now/Before it’s too late” stand out, and the pause after “now” gives extra focus and strength to “Before it’s too late,” which can’t help but have an impact on us now. He then sings “Love me now/Before it’s too late.” It feels like that now, doesn’t it? Doesn’t it feel like things could end at any moment? And we need to show those whom we care about how important they are. As the song is ending, he repeats “Before it’s too late.” But there is a magical sense to the song then, like the music is taking us on some blissful journey across skies, easing our minds. That’s followed by “Rescue,” a positive song with more of a pop vibe. Ah, we could all use a bit of rescuing these days, eh? “Find the truth/Where truth does hide/You could spend/Your whole life hung up on a dream/If you find it in your heart/To forgive/I will start/To build a bridge for you/Stronger than before.” I look to music like this to rescue me.

For me, the most interesting and exciting song is “Modern Life Is Killing Me.” Its opening lines are “Everybody here is so crazy/Running all around/If there’s a dollar to be found,” lines I’m sure people are going to be able to relate to. And the lyrics are delivered in an unusual way, kind of slowly and drawn out, like he is holding onto each word, which works so well with the song’s theme. Halfway through, there is an excellent instrumental section featuring some good and expressive work on guitar, with that 1960s psychedelic influence at its strongest. That is followed by “Caylus (Reprise),” which, like “Caylus 74,” is listed as a separate track on the CD case but it is actually tacked onto the end of the track containing “Modern Life Is Killing Me.”

In “Walk Away,” Matthew sings “You’ve got to be true to yourself/If you ain’t true to yourself, you’ll never be true to no one else,” a rewording of the advice that Polonius gives to Laertes in Act I scene iii of Hamlet: “This above all: to thine own self be true,/And it must follow, as the night the day,/Thou canst not then be false to any man.” The album then concludes with “I’ll Never Be That Guy,” a song with a positive outlook. We can use as much of this as we can get. “I’m going to put my faith in it/I’m going to give my heart to it/I’m going to spell out the reasons why/I’m going to give it my heart/I’m going to give it my love.” What’s interesting is that I was in tears at the beginning of this album, but feeling almost optimistic by the end. Now that’s a journey we want to take.

CD Track List
  1. The Circle Turns
  2. About The Girl
  3. The Milkman Of Human Kindness/Caylus 74
  4. Everything You’ve Ever Had
  5. Rescue
  6. Modern Life Is Killing Me/Caylus (Reprise)
  7. Walk Away
  8. I’ll Never Be That Guy 
Myriad was released on February 28, 2020 on Cleopatra Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment