Saturday, September 8, 2018

Rachelle Coba: “Blink” (2018) CD Review

Rachelle Coba is a blues singer, guitarist and songwriter. In 2014, she released her debut album, Mother Blues, and is now following it up with Blink. This album features all original material, written or co-written by Rachelle Coba, the songs having a good range of moods and vibes. Joining her on this release are John Ginty on keys and percussion, Paul Kuzik on bass, and Andrei Koribanics on drums and percussion.

Rachelle Coba gets things going with “High And Dry,” which begins with some cool teasing on keys and vocals. Then when it kicks in, it becomes a solid, rocking blues number, with good work on keys and guitar over a steady rhythm, and some powerful vocals. Nothing fancy here, just straightforward rock to help you forget your cares (and these days we have a lot of cares). “I could have found something better to do if you’d just given me half a chance/I thought we had a good thing going.” That’s followed by “Dance These Blues Away,” something I try to do on a daily basis. Man, it’s difficult because I keep getting reminded of the horrid little creature occupying the highest office in the land. Anyway, this is a groovy blues tune about treating yourself well, trying to relax and let go. “Gonna have a good time/I ain’t looking for love, no/Just looking to ease my mind/Going to leave behind my pain.” At one point, it becomes a strange, atmospheric jam that builds back to that good groove. Let’s all try to dance these blues away. Perhaps Donald and his putrid gang of racists can be defeated through dance.

“Good Ole Heartbreak” has a delicious classic vibe that I absolutely love, and contains one of the best vocal performances on the album. Gorgeous, sexy, emotional. “When I hear you knockin’ I know I’ll be safe in your arms/I can’t deny the comfort of your embrace/Seems like you’re the only love for me/Good ole heartbreak.” What a wonderful song. Another of the disc’s highlights for me is “River Of Blood,” blues with an honest, raw delivery and power. This one was written by Rachelle Coba and Liz Mandeville. “River holds the memory of greed and sin/What’s this feeling coming over me/The ghosts of a people that never got free.” Jimmy Bennett plays dobro on this track. Then “Blink,” the CD’s title track, has a sweet sound and vibe that makes me feel good, optimistic. “I’d like to wish on a star/I’d like to wish on horses/I wish a thousand horses/To carry, carry me, carry me far/To carry, to carry me far.” Plus, I love the guitar part to this song. I want that guitar part to carry me away, to carry me far.

“Bad Reputation” is a good, rocking number delivered with the energy and attitude of someone like Tina Turner. Check out these lines, which being the song: “I should have known better/I should have turned and walked away/I saw a flaw in the picture you were painting/I just decided to stay.” That’s followed by “You Stole My Heart,” which has a nice groove, and a good amount of soul. Maybe I’m crazy, but the music of “Maybe” reminds me a bit of “Dear Prudence.” “All I ever think about is you/All I ever think about is you.” The album then concludes with “Blame It On The Blues,” which was written by Rachelle Coba and Rudy Love. In this one, Rachelle sings “I keep on believing everything you say/But things always turn out, they always turn out the same old way.” This song is not about politics, but I can’t help but associate those lines with a typical Trump supporter who believes everything that mendacious cretin says. This is actually a beautiful tune with a wonderful vocal performance, another of the disc’s highlights. “All I can do/Is just blame it, blame it, blame it on the blues.”

CD Track List
  1. High And Dry
  2. Dance These Blues Away
  3. Good Ole Heartbreak
  4. No Deals
  5. River Of Blood
  6. Blink
  7. Bad Reputation
  8. You Stole My Heart
  9. Shuffle Ya
  10. Maybe
  11. Blame It On The Blues 
Blink is scheduled to be released on September 21, 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment